Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105648: Make sendmail-query-once update send-m

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105648: Make sendmail-query-once update send-mail-function directly.
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:45:12 -0400

> The difference is that we're forcing the users to a single value now
> that we can't ever change again.  So if, for instance, the Linux
> people pull themselves together and create a proper API for querying
> how mail is supposed to be sent out, this is something that few Emacs
> users will be using, since if we change the default in Emacs 26.1 to
> `send-mail-using-the-clever-new-linux-api', they'll never see it.

Users who have customized send-mail-function independently, prior to
Emacs 24, would encounter the same problem.  In the event, it woud be
more reliable to hard code a check into the mail-sending functions,
similar to what we did in compose-mail when switching from mail-mode to
message-mode as the default mail user agent.