Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:43:01 -0500

> John Wiegley wrote:
>> "Mac port" Emacs, the set of patches by Yamamoto Mitsuharu, does fullscreen
>> beautifully on Mac OS X.  Why is his code not being used in the official
>> distribution?

> This has been discussed in the past on this list a few times, see eg

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-09/msg00199.html

Thanks for the heads up.

My biggest problem with the Emacs.app code -- and why I'm not using it anymore
-- is that subprocess communication is horribly laggy.  It makes several Emacs
services, such as flyspell, simply unusable.  "Mac port" Emacs doesn't have
this problem at all, such that flyspell works with the same speed it does on
Linux.

People have commented about this flyspell issue many times, and from what I've
seen the blame keeps getting directed at aspell.  But actually, it's Emacs.app
that is the problem.  I've seen it with other things too, like Tramp and gdb,
though it's quite as pronounced there since users already expect to wait
longer.

John