Re: Reminder about feature freeze

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Reminder about feature freeze
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:58:57 +0200

On 2011-08-20 21:14, Chong Yidong wrote:
Dimitri Fontaine<address@hidden>  writes:

Allow to jump on your thread here. I have fixes for rcirc WHOIS
handling, and it's short enough not to require papers AFAIUI.

(defun rcirc-handler-generic-whois (command process sender args text)
   "generic rcirc handler for WHOIS related commands"
   (let ((nick (cadr args))
        (mesg (mapconcat 'identity (cddr args) " ")))
     (with-current-buffer (rcirc-get-buffer-create process nick)
       (rcirc-print process sender command nick mesg))))

(defun rcirc-install-whois-handlers ()
   "Install rcirc-handler-XXX for WHOIS related protocol messages"
   (dolist (cmd '(311 312 313 317 318 319 330))
     (let ((name (intern (format "rcirc-handler-%d" cmd))))
       (fset name `(lambda (process sender args text)
                   (rcirc-handler-generic-whois
                    ,(number-to-string cmd) process sender args text))))))

Currently rcirc is able to print a whois whenever you open a query to a
user, but not when a user opens a query to you — that open a new buffer
but it's quite impossible to have WHOIS printed here.  I call it a bug.

Yes, this qualifies as a bug.  If either rcirc maintainer (Ryan or
Deniz) agrees with this change, it can be committed.

I don't agree that it qualifies as a bug. What Dimitri has provided is just added functionality. There is nothing that says that IRC clients should behave in this manner. If you still think it can be committed, let me know.