Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:52:24 -0400

> I find them useful and "bzr log" doesn't always work as well as plain
> text comments.  For instance it's much harder to go back and edit a
> published VCS log than a ChangeLog file.

They each have their advantage and inconvenients, but they're not
sufficient to justify keeping both.  So for the "edit the VCS log",
you'll want to file a feature request with the Bazaar guys (or rather,
add your voice to the existing bug number).

> `C-x 4 a' would need a parallel command to edit the built-in ChangeLog.

Yes, C-x 4 a will need work so it's useful even without a ChangeLog.
Maybe a simple way to do that is to have *VC-Log* save itself into
a .changelog file which gets auto-removed upon commit, and then have C-x
4 use/create such a .changelog file (at the root of the checkout) if there's
no ChangeLog.  This has been discussed already in the past, but there
hasn't been any progress, so I hope this change to `elpa' will be
a motivating factor.

        Stefan