Re: Ideas for hl-line-mode

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: Ideas for hl-line-mode
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:17:25 -0400

on Fri Sep 30 2011, Eli Zaretskii <eliz-AT-gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Dave Abrahams <address@hidden>
>
>> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:40:21 -0400
>>
>> I just realized that there are a whole bunch of modes where the
>> horizontal position of the cursor just doesn't matter, and that these
>> correspond almost exactly to where I want hl-line-mode active.  In these
>> modes would also want to make the cursor very close to the color of the
>> highlight.  It would be nice if emacs had a way for modes to represent
>> that they're "vertical-position-only modes" so that this sort of thing
>> could be set up programmatically.
>
> Does
>
>    (eq (get major-mode 'mode-class) 'special)
>
> do what you want?

Cool, I was hoping someone would point out an existing facility I didn't
know about...

Oh, interesting.  It's probably a very good heuristic, though I'm not
sure the description of this mode-class as "only for specially-prepared
text" really implies that horizontal position is irrelevant.

I'll try using it and see how it goes.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing