Re: right-char and left-char

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: right-char and left-char
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 14:08:25 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 18:20:53 -0400
>
> Another question: how come C-<right> is bound to `right-word' but
> M-<right> is still bound to `forward-word'?  An oversight?

Not an oversight.  Users of bidirectional scripts expect
Control-arrows to move by words in the paragraph direction, but they
don't expect Meta-arrows to do that.  In fact, I'm not aware of many
applications that bind Meta-arrows to cursor motion commands.

That said, I have no objections to make Meta-arrows do the same, if
you think being consistent is better.  I don't think it will surprise
users of bidirectional scripts if we make Meta-arrows behave similarly
to Control-arrows.