Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 08:20:28 +0200

> Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 12:25:24 -0700 (PDT)
> From: nabil-82 <address@hidden>
>
> But after "make install" I got 2 Errors:
> cd /home/nab/emacs-24.0.90/doc/misc; makeinfo ert.texi
> /bin/sh: makeinfo: not found
> make[2]: *** [../../info/ert] Fehler 127 /* Fehler is german and means error
> */
> make[2]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/nab/emacs-24.0.90/doc/misc' /* verlasse
> = leave, Verzeichnis = directory */
> make[1]: *** [info-real] Fehler 2
> make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/nab/emacs-24.0.90'
> make: *** [info] Fehler 2

You don't have the Texinfo package installed, but that package should
not be needed for building and installing a pretest.  There's already
a file info/ert in the tarball, and it is newer than
doc/misc/ert.texi.

I think the problem is in doc/misc/Makefile.in in this line:

  $(infodir)/ert: ert.texi $(infodir)

$(infodir) should not be a prerequisite of ert.  If you remove
$(infodir) from this line and re-run "configure", does "make install"
run to completion without problems?

> Arabic text ist written correctly R2L and also  the accents
> (=diacritcs=tashkeel).
> But the arabic characters don't appear connected as they should. I tested
> several fonts.

You are missing several libraries that are needed for Arabic shaping.
Here's an excerpt from the file INSTALL that describes these
libraries; you need to install all of the libraries mentioned below to
have Arabic shaping:

  * Complex Text Layout support libraries

  Emacs needs the optional libraries "m17n-db", "libm17n-flt", "libotf"
  to correctly display such complex scripts as Indic and Khmer.
  On some systems, particularly GNU/Linux, these libraries may be
  already present or available as additional packages.  Note that if
  there is a separate `dev' or `devel' package, for use at compilation
  time rather than run time, you will need that as well as the
  corresponding run time package; typically the dev package will contain
  header files and a library archive.  Otherwise, you can download and
  build libraries from sources.

  The sources of these libraries are available by anonymous CVS from
  cvs.m17n.org.

      % cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/m17n login
      % cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/m17n co m17n-db
      % cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/m17n co m17n-lib
      % cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/m17n co libotf

  For m17n-lib, if you have problems with making the whole package
  because you lack some other packages on which m17n-lib depends, try to
  configure it with the option "--without-gui".