Re: bzr:// vz nosmart+bzr://

From: Sven Joachim
Subject: Re: bzr:// vz nosmart+bzr://
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:17:22 +0200

On 2011-10-10 10:43 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Maybe you know, maybe you don't, but the bzr server on savannah was
> upgraded to the latest version 2.4 a few days ago.  As result of this
> (or maybe as result of some other changes on savannah), the initial
> "bzr branch" command became approximately twice faster than it was
> before.  It takes about 18 min on a gnu.org machine (probably on the
> same LAN), and 1 hour on a very remote machine.
>
> What's also important, it seems to be no longer true that using the
> nosmart+bzr:// protocol for the initial "bzr branch" is faster than
> the normal "smart" bzr://.  In fact, nosmart+bzr:// seems to be about
> 30% _slower_ now.

That seems to be correct.

> Would people please time the following 2 commands and see if this
> observation is correct in general?  If it is, I'd like to update the
> instructions on the wiki, because describing 2 different protocols
> there might unnecessarily confuse new users.
>
>   bzr branch nosmart+bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
>   bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/

% time bzr branch nosmart+bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
Branched 106042 revision(s).

bzr branch nosmart+bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/  448,75s user 7,46s
system 37% cpu 20:21,80 total
% mv trunk trunk.old
% time bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
Branched 106042 revision(s).

bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/  352,41s user 5,63s system
47% cpu 12:36,04 total

Cheers,
       Sven