Re: smtp crap

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:43:55 -0400

> I don't think `mailclient-send-it' is a very satisfactory solution for
> sending email.

Agreed.  We need something better.

> It pops up a different mailer, and the user has to take
> actions there, too, to actually send the mail.

Popping up a different mailer is not a problem: it's what mailclient is
supposed to do.  The problem is that it comes into play much too late:
mailclient should not be an MTA function but a MUA function.

I.e. not a send-mail-function value but a mail-user-agent value.
Of course, the problem is that `compose-mail' assumes the
mail-user-agent is "inside Emacs", so we need to introduce a new
function that makes fewer assumptions.

        Stefan