Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:39:09 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, nabil-82 <address@hidden> writes:

> But there is another thing - not a bug. After choosing the
> arabic-input-metho I can't put the "eastern-arabic-digits". I get the arabic
> ones (so they are called). But in the (eastern) arabic countries they're not
> used so often "eastern-arabic" ones.
> arabic: 0 1 2 3 ...
> "eastern-arabic":
> ٠‎ - ١‎ - ٢‎ - ٣‎ - ٤‎ - ٥‎ - ٦‎ - ٧‎ - ٨‎ - ٩
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Arabic_numerals

> What I did: I've changed leim/quail/arabic.el  (put the 10 rules for the
> eastern arabic digits)
> It works - now. Could I have complications later? Is there a better
> solution?

With that, when you install a new version of Emacs, that
file will be overwritten.  If you want to avoid that, one
way is to define only additional rules in your .emacs as
below:

(quail-use-package "arabic" "quail/arabic")
(quail-define-rules
 ("1" ?١)
 ...)

By the way, if your request is a common one, it is better
that we add the rules for eastern-arabic digits to "arabic"
input method and provide a customizable variable to select
which kind of digits to input.

How the other arabic input methods work?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden