RE: smtp crap

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: smtp crap
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 22:38:10 -0700

> I'd hope that any user who's not dead-set on using Emacs's smtpmail
> support will simply say "use mailclient".  So the likelihood of wrong
> smtp setup should be rather low.

It's not about customizing Emacs email preferences to suit the user, whether
s?he is dead-set for or against smtpmail.  If a user wants to
customize/configure email, then making her jump through hoops and even badly
designed question sequences is not a big deal (a bug, but not a big bug).

What is bad is forcing this questioning on a user, instead of simply taking her
down that garden path _only_ on her request.

But even that is not what is most important - don't focus on the customization
problem.  It's really not the main problem, even if pushed on users.

It's about Emacs _bug reporting_, and in particular reporting from `emacs -Q'.
We should not be submitting users who want to report bugs to a configuration
scenario that interrogates them about email methods.

Really, this should be a no-brainer.