Re: smtp crap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 03:00:13 -0400

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 01:05:57 -0400

> >> Agreed.  We need something better.
> > So is this a NO to my question regarding making mailclient-send-it the
> > default for Windows?
>
> Not sure what was the question

The question was: would it be okay to change the default value of
send-mail-function to mailclient-send-it, for Windows only?

> I don't think this issue has much to do with the underlying OS: the
> problem is pretty much the same everywhere nowadays.

I'm okay with changing the default to mailclient-send-it on all
platforms ;-)

I cannot speak for Posix platforms nowadays, but I do know that almost
every Windows box out there has its mail client set up, so it is a
sure bet to rely on that for Windows.  By contrast, many (if not most)
Windows users would not know how to set up SMTP, even if they are
sophisticated enough to use Emacs.

So I think, for Emacs 24.1 at least, having mailclient-send-it as the
default on Windows would be a good solution, until we figure out how
to satisfy all the different needs in this matter.