Re: Git mirrors

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:33:46 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > Why should you expect the Emacs project to behave differently from any
 > other Free Software project?

Because most of the projects in the class you have mentioned produce
free *software*, but their political principles are those of the open
source movement.  Emacs is different because it *is* a Free Software
project.  One could argue that Emacs should advocate the use of the
strongest possible "team" of free software tools, rather than being
biased to the use of GNU-labeled tools.  After all, the project has no
problem labelling other non-GNU tools (TeX, perl, X11) as "part of the
GNU System".  But choosing tools on technical capability is clearly
not the policy of the GNU Project, so the point is moot.

 > I fail to see how this interpretation can be gleaned from what's been
 > said here.  Projects that use git as their VCS are not being accused
 > of being "unfriendly competitors" to the GNU Project, and I, for one,
 > don't think they are.  So what you say is simply unfair.  I hope
 > fairness is still a virtue around here.

Promoting an unusable tool merely because it had the GNU label is most
definitely unfriendly competition.  Óscar's description is contentious
but not unfair in this particular case.