Re: Git mirrors

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 03:34:22 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> Whom do I ask to disable the current mirroring code, so we never step
>> on each other?
>
> AFAIK, the only one keeping the savannah git mirror up to date is
> Andreas Schwab and he is doing that manually. I'm not sure what's the
> actual process he is using, but if it is fast-import/fast-export the
> worst thing that could happen is a failed push because the other part
> pushed first. In that case a pull should fix things. But he has the
> authoritative word on this.

Well, as fast-export/fast-import should produce identical output
anytime, anyplace, if someone pushes before you shouldn't be any problem
at all, because the git repo at savannah already has the revisions you
are trying to push, so the operation would simply update your
remotes/origin/* pointers.

Modulo bugs :-/

>> Also, is there a way to get Bazaar on Savannah to use curl to frob a URL
>> whenever a commit is made?  If so, I could change the mirroring scheme to be
>> by-commit, rather than hourly.
>
> There are already commit hooks into place (for feeding the emacs-diffs
> mailing list, for instance.) What you ask for shouldn't be too
> complicated in comparison, but most likely only the savannah admins or
> the project owners are authorized for doing that.

After reading Stefan's reply it seems that it is not so easy. An hourly
refresh is very good, although mirroring by-commit would be superb for
the occasional cases where you report a bug, a hacker commits a quick
fix and asks you to test it, everything on a fast mail-chat. Maybe you
can react to messages sent to emacs-diffs? In any case keep in mind that
some hackers pushes several revisions on one batch: maybe it is not a
good idea resource-wise to fire the export/import ten times on a row
when the first one grabbed all the new revisions :-)