Re: What about putting CC Mode 5.32 into Emacs?

From: Burton Samograd
Subject: Re: What about putting CC Mode 5.32 into Emacs?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:16:28 -0600

"Michael Welsh Duggan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello, Burton.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 09:55:20AM -0600, Burton Samograd wrote:
>>
>>> I certainly hope that 5.32 fixes the indentation issues that I have
>>> been experiencing with the lastest builds of emacs.  It's been quite
>>> unreliable and annoying, although I haven't put up the effort to write
>>> a bug report as I am running bzr emacs...
>>
>> At the moment, that seems unlikely, since nearly all of 5.32's code is
>> already in bzr Emacs.  Sorry.
>>
>> A bug report would be welcome.  Please create the meat of this with C-c
>> C-b from your buffer - that dumps the entire CC Mode configuration and
>> often assists massively in tracking down a bug.
>
> Have you looked at bug 9560 recently?
>
>   http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9560

No I haven't, but I did just look it over.

> I have added as much debugging information as I could.  I currently have
> an emacs -Q on my home machine which is in a bad-indentation state.  I
> can leave it up for a few days.

It sounds a bit different than what I've been experiencing.  From
memory, it seems like when I'm editing code in a function, it loses the
idea that I am in a function and loses a level of indentation for all
code below a certain point.  Sometimes going up a few lines before the
problem and re-indenting every line fixes it, but it can take a couple
of tries to get it to actually work.  Other times I have to go to near
the start of the function and re-indent everything.  Sometimes nothing
works and I just re-indent it manually.

I don't want to complain without offering a solution, but in the 15+
years I've been using emacs I have *never* had a problem with C code
indentation and have grown to rely on it to help me find syntax errors
in my code.  Why it has unreliable is beyond me when it's worked so well
for so long...I hope this wasn't just change for the sake of change.

--
Burton Samograd