Re: Git mirrors

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 18:09:51 +0200

Vijay Lakshminarayanan <address@hidden> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> Óscar is using the past to complain about the present.
>>
>> The past is "choosing bzr over other Free alternatives was politicaly
>> motivated regardless of technical merit; the interests of GNU prevailed,
>> users were dismissed."
>
> I don't get this.  Eli raised the same earlier.  Yes, it was a political
> decision.  What's wrong with that?

For the nth time: I want to know why such policy is considered good for
the Free Software cause (being GNU an instrument of such cause), because
I perceive that such policy creates animosity among the creators of Free
Software and goes against the principle of merit, which is second after
Freedom.

Anything else are strawman arguments introduced by others, who are
reacting on a Paulovian way at the presence of certain keywords :-)

[snip]

> Emacs and several other GNU projects are the /only/ projects I know
> which officially make their sources available in multiple SCMs.

You don't know the projects that I know, then.

To be fair, it is so easy to create and host a git/mercurial/bzr mirror
of a Subversion/git/mercurial project that there is no need for official
support. AFAIK, it is not so easy to create and host a git mirror of a
bzr project, probably because the main hosting sites (github, gitorious,
etc) does not consider bzr relevant enough to care. And now you will
ask: "why don't you ask those hosting sites to add bzr support?" and my
response is: "this subthread is not about that (see above)."

[snip]