Re: Git mirrors

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 23:37:17 +0200

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> By the internal marks.
>
> I looked at the two marks tables, but I'm not familiar enough with Bzr to know
> the simple incantation to turn
> "address@hidden" into a revision
> number.  With that knowledge, I can do it easily.

There is no easy way, AFAIK. In bzr you can simply do

bzr log -r address@hidden

and it will output

revno: 96032
committer: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
timestamp: Tue 2009-06-09 18:39:29 +0000
message:
  * ada-mode.texi (Installation, Compile commands)
  (Project File Overview, No project files, Set compiler options)
  (Use GNAT project file, Use multiple GNAT project files)
  (Identifier completion): Use @samp for menu items, and @kbd for key
  sequences.

It is a slow operation (8 seconds on a 2.4 GHz destktop-class GNU/Linux
machine with bzr 2.2.4. You could do instead a `log --show-ids' and
parse the output for revision numbers and revision-ids, which is much
faster.) Add to that that the same bzr revision-id may correspond to
different revision numbers, one per branch where the revision is
present, so you would need to repeat the `log' command on every branch
and output a pair (branch-name, revision-id). Although usually the Emacs
hackers are interested on two branches (`trunk' and the maintenance
branch, what was `emacs-23' until recently, `emacs-24' after the
release.) it is still a lot of work to do.

In practice, knowing the bzr revision number right away is convenient
but the hacker can operate with the revision-id, as shown above. The
files you posted contain all the required info.