Re: Git mirrors

From: Vijay Lakshminarayanan
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:09:42 +0530

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> Vijay Lakshminarayanan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>>  > > But your analogy fails, because the problem here is not whether
>>>  > > Óscar can *adapt* to Emacs' use of bzr.  He can, and he can use git
>>>  > > (for developing Emacs) at the same time as bzr (for pushing his
>>>  > > contributions) if he wants to.
>>>  >
>>>  > Apparently, for Óscar is a problem.
>>>
>>> Why do you keep ignoring what he writes?  Yes, he *wishes* Emacs used
>>> git, but in this thread, he wants to know why GNU uses a policy that
>>> appears to him to be counterproductive in a number of ways.
>>
>> I think Óscar's questions have been answered.
>
> No.

That surprises me.  Quoting an exchange we had earlier:

,----
| > For the nth time: I want to know why such policy is considered good for
| > the Free Software cause (being GNU an instrument of such cause),
|
| The reason to support GNU projects over others is that it is the stated
| goal of GNU that all distributed software should be Free and copylefted
| by law.  To this end, any software project that shares the same goals
| will be supported.
`---- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-10/msg00527.html

[snip]

>> Hopefully Óscar understands the GNU project better with this thread.
>> That will be, IMO, the only good thing to come out of this huge
>> flamewar.
>
> Flamewar who?

You have people citing comments by each other and calling them ad
hominem.  You have exchanges calling git/bzr
unusable/unintuitive/broken.  There's more.  All the characteristics of
a flamewar to me.  Note: I didn't say /you/ alone were responsible for
the entire flamewar.  (A one man flamewar has a better name: troll ;-) )

> I made a series of questions about how GNU policies affect
> non-GNU *FREE* software and how that fits the Free Software cause as a
> whole. Because GNU is just an instrument of the FSF to promote Free
> Software, and that may be at odds with such policies. Some people
> (including you) insist on talking about unrelated issues (Skype,
> my-dvcs-is-better-than-yours, etc.)

Richard's comments about the git vs bzr:

,----
`---- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-10/msg00616.html

,----
| >     I always thought that Free Software is about the user, always the
| >     user.
| >
| > The free software movement campaigns for users' freedom.
| > So you could say it is "about the users' freedom".
`---- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-10/msg00659.html

Your follow up question to the above was:

,----
| How does it help the Free Software cause to privilege projects over
| other Free alternatives putting merit aside just because they have the
| GNU label sticked on them?
`----

I think I've answered this.

--