Re: C-x 2 and C-x 3

From: Nix
Subject: Re: C-x 2 and C-x 3
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:20:09 +0100

On 26 Oct 2011, martin rudalics told this:

>> Sorry, but may I ask what is the problem with the traditional names of
>> these commands?
>
> Confusion of operation and state based reasoning.  People adopting the
> latter were surprised that a horizontal split would produce a vertical
> divider (among them ISTR Glenn Morris, Miles Bader and some people on
> help-gnu-emacs).

Quite. This is the second-most-confusing thing in Emacs: it still
confuses me when I encounter it now, seventeen years after I met it for
the first time. (The most confusing thing in Emacs is the inverted
naming of scroll-{up,down}-command with respect to the modern meanings
of 'scroll up/down', but that is probably not changeable without
breaking the world at this late date.)

--
NULL && (void)