documentation of Rmail 23 mailbox format?

From: Mark Lillibridge
Subject: documentation of Rmail 23 mailbox format?
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:12:04 -0700

    I've found at least one bug (get messages destroys all white space
at the end of the last message already in the mailbox) in Rmail 23 that
requires me to understand the correct Rmail 23 mailbox format in order
to fix the bug.  Is there any documentation of this?

    Unless told otherwise, I'm going to assume that Rmail 23 is supposed
be using the mboxo/mboxrd mailbox format (see
http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/mail-mbox-formats.html).
In particular, this means that:

    Each message is preceded by a From_ line and followed by a blank line. A
    From_ line is a line that begins with the five characters 'F', 'r', 'o',
    'm', and ' '.

    Rmail 23 does not comply correctly with this.  For example, it fails
to add a blank line after the last message.

- Mark