confirmation msg for `C-x C-v'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: confirmation msg for `C-x C-v'
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:30:57 -0800

In versions of Emacs prior to Emacs 23, if you modify a file buffer and then use
`C-x C-v', the first confirmation message is this:
"Buffer toto.el is modified; kill anyway? (yes or no)".

Starting with Emacs 23, the message is this:
"Buffer toto.el is modified; save it first? (yes or no)".  Why?

The followup message, in all versions, is this:
"Kill and replace the buffer without saving it? (yes or no)".

The old behavior was better, IMHO.  You answer `yes', `yes', not `no', `yes', to
confirm the replacement.  Not to mention that "save it first" makes no sense in
this context, since there is no "second".  Seems like what we really want to say
is what we used to say: This operation will kill the current buffer, so you'll
lose your modifications there - is that what you want?

It's also not clear to me why we have two confirmation messages at all.  If you
say once that you want to kill (not save) the buffer, why should you have to say
it again?  And if you don't confirm the kill for the first message, but you
instead say you want to save the buffer, then there is no second message.

What's the point of the double confirmation (i.e., the no+yes, now)?  Having two
messages if the user confirms replacment seems especially confusing with the
newer text, which makes you answer differently each time, to two slightly
different questions that both ask essentially the same thing.  What am I
missing?