Re: Memory again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:44:51 +0200

> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:53:44 +0100
> From: Carsten Mattner <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Anything inefficent, wrong or dangerous?

No inefficiency can explain a memory leak.

> ELISP> (garbage-collect)
> ((117223 . 17600)
>  (20499 . 0)
>  (60 . 235)
>  490836 365472
>  (106 . 70)
>  (90 . 200)
>  (18949 . 4550))
>
> ;; after loading and killing that .erl file with Ido enabled
> ;; at least 3 times in a row
>
> ELISP> (garbage-collect)
> ((130126 . 12265)
>  (21652 . 3)
>  (129 . 345)
>  594990 375989
>  (107 . 99)
>  (102 . 411)
>  (22909 . 4055))
>
> ELISP> (garbage-collect)
> ((131365 . 14983)
>  (21652 . 3)
>  (154 . 320)
>  595149 380380
>  (113 . 127)
>  (128 . 595)
>  (22911 . 4053))

The number of conses seems to go up, but I'm not sure whether it's
normal or not, especially since the growth seems relatively small.
Maybe doing the same many more times will tell.  Also, putting a
breakpoint in Fcons and Flist and looking at the cons cells we
allocate could give some hint.

Another way would be to try using some other mode, not erlang or ido,
and see if the memory grows similarly.

Of course, these are all stabs in the dark.  I don't really know
what's going on there, just throwing some random thoughts.  Caveat
emptor.