Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:00:18 -0800

On 11/30/11 13:48, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I ran config.status, hoping to avoid the 10 minutes it takes to run
> configure on my machine, since I did that yesterday.  But
> config.status ran configure.

That doesn't happen with me (see below).
>From the Subject: line, it sounds like you're saying
that a Makefile rule contains a dependency that it shouldn't,
but it's not clear which dependency you're referring to.
Currently we have:

config.status: configure lisp/version.el # This one actually runs 'configure'.
configure: configure.in aclocal.m4

Are any of these dependencies the one that caused your problem?

$ ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating lib/Makefile
config.status: creating lib-src/Makefile
config.status: creating oldXMenu/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/emacs/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/misc/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/lispintro/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/lispref/Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating lwlib/Makefile
config.status: creating lisp/Makefile
config.status: creating leim/Makefile
config.status: creating test/automated/Makefile
config.status: creating src/config.h
config.status: src/config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing mkdirs commands
config.status: executing epaths commands
creating src/epaths.h
[ -r "/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/src/config.in" ] || ( cd
/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking && autoheader )
config.status: executing gdbinit commands
$