Re: Memory again

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 05:02:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

> It doesn't, or at least shouldn't.  When enough memory has been
> reclaimed by GC, it should give it away to the system.  At least on
> some systems, I actually see that in action, after killing a large
> buffer.

Just for the record: a *compile* buffer ended with 10M lines of
diagnostics emitted by a compiler. The emacs process jumped from 60MB to
526MB of RES memory. That was yesterday, and emacs keeps retaining that
memory.

I guess that as the buffer grew it was reallocated again and
again. Obviously fragmentation is at play here.

[snip]