Re: "Renaming: permission denied" file-error in Windows

From: Tekk
Subject: Re: "Renaming: permission denied" file-error in Windows
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:32:36 -0500 (EST)

Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 02:16:45 +0200
From: LynX <address@hidden>

I found that dired in Windows does not provide you possibility to move a
directory to a new location if this new location resides on a different
logical disk.

For instance you have two opened dired buffers: `c:\dir1' and
`f:\dir2'. To move some files from `dir1' to `dir2' you can use "R", but
if you try to move some directory from `dir1' to `dir2' you will get
`Renaming: permission denied' error message.

Does Emacs on Unix or GNU/Linux systems allow moving a directory to a
different filesystem?  (I cannot test this where I'm typing this.)  If
not, the Windows behavior is not a bug.

The problem occurs when dired calls Emacs function which delegates the
call to native POSIX function `rename'.

In Windows `rename' operates a bit different than in other systems.
According to MSDN [http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zw5t957f.aspx]:

Emacs doesn't call `rename' from the MS library, it has its own
replacement `sys_rename'.  So if we decide to modify this behavior, we
can.

-- "You can use rename to move a file from one directory or device to
another by giving a different path in the newname argument. However, you
cannot use rename to move a directory." --

But you _can_ rename or move a directory on MS-Windows, as long as the
destination is on the same drive.  Try it.

but that's not his issue, he filed the bug about not being able to move onto a different drive, not being unable to move at all.