Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:49:20 +0530

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Please provide some more information about the plan for Org
>> development.
>
> I expect 7.9 to happen in January or February and 8.0 in March or
> April.  I don't think 7.9 will contain major changes, only small new
> features.  The most significant change in Org 8.0 will be a more
> systematic use of the new export engine.
>
> In a word: 7.8 contains more new features over 7.7 than 8.0 will
> contain over 7.8.

ODT exporter has been part of the Org's staging directory since rel-7.6
(early Jul, 2011) [1]. I publicly announced the availability of the
exporter around end of Jan, 2011 [2]. So the exporter has been in the
wild for an year or so.

org-odt is not only complete in terms of features it implements but has
considerably mellowed in the last year.

If stability of org-odt is a concern, I urge the maintainers to set
aside that concern.

As Bastien notes, I have no "disruptive" features queued up for next
quarter or so. If org-odt gets accepted in to the Emacs-24.1 tree, I can
assure restraint on my part so that org-odt *never* regresses but *only*
improves.

Needless to say, I am for inclusion of org-odt in Emacs-24.1.

Jambunathan K.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-07/msg00294.html
[2]  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-01/msg01210.html