Re: "Snippet" database

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: "Snippet" database
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:16:24 -0500

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 19:47:58 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> In my various guises I find myself sending out the same rote email
LMI> answer to many people.  "Thanks for the patch; applied" and stuff.  It
LMI> would be nice if one could just mark the region, ask Emacs to pull it
LMI> into a database of snippets, and then have a command that would insert
LMI> them again.

LMI> Surely something like this already exists in Emacs, but I just can't
LMI> seem to find it.  Probably looking for the wrong thing...

I usually put it in the kill ring, since with session.el I have the kill
ring persistent between Emacs sessions.  Normally I just keep doing
`M-y' (`yank-pop') repeatedly to find the old text, which in an odd way
is similar to what you're suggesting.  So maybe a `yank-select' command
to select from the kill ring would be useful to you, coupled with a way
to persist the kill ring if session.el is too heavy for you?

Ted