Re: NaCl support for Emacs

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: NaCl support for Emacs
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:59:21 +0100

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Harald Hanche-Olsen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> ["Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> (2012-01-11 12:26:22 UTC)]
>
>> Not if it really is.  I'm just saying that Bernstein's licensing and
>> distribution practices for much of his software, if applied here,
>> would be problematic, and it deserves checking before doing too much
>> work on adding support for it to Emacs.
>
> That used to be true, several years ago. But in late 2007, he
> announced that he was changing that, and all his software – past and
> future – would be in the public domain [1]. (It may be that some old
> distributions of his still have the old license files, though.)
>
> [1] http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3147768955127254412&hl=en
>
> As far as I know the term "public domain", there is really only one
> kind, so you cannot attach license conditions to something in the
> public domain. That would be a contradiction in terms, like hair on a
> bald head. (In some jurisdictions, such as Norway, there are moral
> rights attached to a work that cannot be given away, such as the right
> to be identified as the author of the work. But that is another
> matter.)

Even if it had a non public-domain license, that license may not be
enforceable.

We already have a hard time as developers of free code when it comes
to deciding whether a combination of two pieces of code is legal.
I wish there was a matrix listing all combinations of "free" licenses.