Re: NaCl support for Emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: NaCl support for Emacs
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 01:33:48 +0900

Carsten Mattner writes:

 > All I know about public domain is that it's not a license per se

Right.  But more precise is that it is the absence of copyright, so no
license is needed (up to the considerations of moral rights that
Harald mentioned).

 > and something similar to how old recordings of Bach are free for
 > most useses after n years.

Not just similar; those old recordings *are* in the public domain.

 > Which is something a couple politicians intend to extend so that n
 > is more than 70 or 100 (don't remember the values say for the US).

Something like 95 years, and renewable.  So Disney will be free to sue
kindergartens at least into the *next* century. :-(