Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:12:38 +0000

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:29:33PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:59:05 +0000
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
> >   address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > Sorry, but that's a philosophical point that cannot pass without
> > challenge.  Because fewer people are using tty environments (which is
> > basically what is meant here by "ASCII-only") is it really "less
> > important" to support them?  Or is there some other reason?

> > There are at least three Emacs developers who use a tty rather than a
> > GUI.  There are users who do the same.  (Why use a GUI for pure text
> > work, indeed?)  To adapt a tty for random Unicode characters is a
> > non-trivial amount of work.

> TTY != pure-ASCII.

Yes, OK.  But they share some of the problems WRT curly quote marks.

> What kind of TTY do you use that needs a "non-trivial amount of work"
> to support non-ASCII characters?  And what that is the work which
> needs to be done for that?

I have an ordinary Linux tty, currently running a Latin-1 character set.
I'd need somehow to arrange for the quotes to be added to that set.  I
don't know of any character set which includes both of these (I've had a
look through /usr/share/consolefonts/).  I don't know how to do this,
and finding out is going to be a lot of work.

Also, there's the issue of adapting the keyboard to support the new
characters.  I know how to do this, so it's no big deal for me.  But for
the vast majority of tty users, I'd guess this is another research

Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).