Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 02:54:47 -0800

On 01/22/2012 01:36 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> I don't have it on either my Gentoo system or my Debian(!) system

It's from a Debian package, introduced in lenny (Debian GNU/Linux 5.0),
which was released about three years ago.  Here's a URL:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/console-setup

It's a GPLed shell script and is not that complicated -- it's a front
end to help out people who don't want to understand Linux consoles
(not that I blame them!).

If you don't have setupcon, you can try this recipe instead, as its
last two commands are what setupcon does, as far as fonts go:

  export LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
  printf '\033%%G'
  setfont -v /usr/share/consolefonts/Uni2-Fixed16.psf.gz

On 01/22/2012 02:22 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Maybe you could give a run through of a hypothetical sequence of steps a
> tty user would go through to find out how to set up his console for this

Do you have setfont?  If so, do the above commands work?
I'll attach a copy of the psf.gz file.  (You can get its source from
the above URL.)

> it will be very strenuous for a normal tty user to get set up
> to see these curly quotes.

OK, but we're not talking about normal tty users.  We're talking about the
three Emacs developers who use Linux consoles to develop.  If we can
get a recipe working for them, then we've handled that problem.