[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 10:51:34 -0800

> Please give your proposed feature a different name. Given the existing
> confusion between meaning of tab (hard tab characters vs. the 
> TAB key), adding more meanings for the word 'tab' will only add
> to the confusion.
> Call your feature a tabbed-window or tabbed-frame, or 
> anything else which is distinct from 'tab' as this will avoid
> of lot of confusion for end users trying to understand what
> is being discussed.

+1 for the attempt, FWIW.

These things are called "tabs" by folks in general, but we do need a short way
to distinguish them from tab chars and the TAB key.

However, I'm not sure that "tabbed window" and "tabbed frame" are appropriate,
given the generality of these things (but I have not followed this discussion,
so maybe they are).  IIUC, the only thing we can really say about them to
distinguish them is that they are on a "tab bar", wherever that might be and
whatever any individual tabs on that bar might do.

One possibility, which is not very pretty but pretty much distinguishes these
tabs without committing to any particular uses, would be to call them "tabbar
tabs".  Just a suggestion.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]