Re: Included libraries in the Windows binary distribution

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Included libraries in the Windows binary distribution
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 22:54:21 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 20:52:27 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 20:27, Christoph Scholtes
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > So I successfully compiled with the patch and the libraries, however
> > during bootstrap I got "libxml2 library not found" all over the place
> > during compilation of elisp files. It shows up after compilation of
> > every single .elc file. Is this expected? I don't have the
> > binaries on the path anywhere. Just wondering where this output is
> > generated.
>
> Here.
>
> +      if (!(library = w32_delayed_load (libraries, Qlibxml2_dll)))
> +       {
> +         message ("%s", "libxml2 library not found");
> +         return 0;
> +       }
>
> Every .el compiled is one instance of emacs (in batch mode) that fails
> to find the library and outputs the message.

The question is: why does it even try to find it?  And the answer is
that Emacs unconditionally calls xmlCleanupParser on exit, and that
call tries to load the library.

I will fix that.

> I think the message is not necessary (we don't warn if we don't find
> libpng3 or GnuTLS, for example).

Oh, yes, we do:

  static int
  init_gnutls_functions (Lisp_Object libraries)
  {
    HMODULE library;
    int max_log_level = 1;

    if (!(library = w32_delayed_load (libraries, Qgnutls_dll)))
      {
        GNUTLS_LOG (1, max_log_level, "GnuTLS library not found");
        return 0;
      }

> > Also, once I have compiled support in, how can I test it?
>
> Use libxml-parse-(xml|html)-region.

Yes, that's how I tested it.

These functions are slow, btw.