Re: Async DNS redux

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Async DNS redux
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:12:10 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Can you explain why you think we need to export the async interface
> to Elisp?

When doing async URL retrievals, like

(url-retrieve "http://fsf.org"; #'our-callback)

To implement this, `url-retrieve' needs to do the resolving
asynchronously, so it would first decompose the URL, then call
(dns-resolve "fsf.org" #'continue-doing-the-retrieval), and then contact
the host, before finally calling `our-callback'.

I don't quite see how to get async chain going without exposing it to
Elisp...

An alternative would be to make `make-network-process' fully
asynchronous, and do the DNS resolving in an asynch manner there.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome