Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Nix
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 23:52:20 +0000

On 7 Feb 2012, Stefan Monnier said:

>> I've never understood what's wrong with including cl.el, nor why the
>
> The main issue is namespace.  If someone goes through the code to rename
> it all to "cl-*", then we won't need to avoid using it.

Aha. I'd agree with *that*: it's always been hellishly unclear which
things are in cl or not. Its intention to sort of add to the Emacs Lisp
core with things with very similar names was perhaps praiseworthy, but
once those things started to move *into* the non-cl.el core, often with
subtly different semantics, it just got fearfully confusing.

For compatibility reasons I suspect we need to put the renamed versions
in something new ('cl-dumped', say, or 'cl-clean'), and have the old
cl.el versions become defaliases to them. (The Emacs core's uses of cl
can be fixed up, but cl is widely used in third-party modules, so we
can't just drop those names.)

I can easily do that this weekend.

--
NULL && (void)