Re: need help with certificate bundles for ALL the platforms Emacs suppo

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: need help with certificate bundles for ALL the platforms Emacs supports
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:37:50 -0500

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:51:45 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> The question is how to obtain one reliably, and all my research leads me
>> to believe that W32 doesn't have it.

EZ> This URL:

EZ>    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc962104.aspx

EZ> and also a few others seem to indicate that each Windows user has
EZ> his/her certificates in this directory:

EZ>   C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application

EZ> I do have such a directory on my XP box, but it is empty.  Meanwhile,
EZ> the application that is used on Windows to browse certificates does
EZ> show a long list of certificates I allegedly have on this box.

EZ> On another XP system I did see files in the above directory, but they
EZ> were binary files, unlike the contents you show:

That's unfortunate.  I'll assume for now that on W32 we have to supply
our own certificate bundle through the GNU ELPA package, until someone
comes up with a better solution.  I think that's acceptable since we're
simply mimicking Mozilla's CA choices, and we can make incremental
improvements to gnutls.el as we find out more about each platform.