Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:29:17 -0500

RMS> Why would it apply to EIEIO?
> Because to me EIEIO seems to fit the same criteria as cl.el: it is
> pretty big, it is derived from Common Lisp, and it uses Common Lisp
> names (so intrudes on the "user namespace").

The namespace use is indeed problematic.  It needs a serious cleanup.
The (defvar this nil) is *really* nasty, since the unsuspecting user may
want to do

  (let ((this ...) (that ...))
    (lambda (x) (...this...that...)))

and be surprised to discover that his closure did not close over `this'
because it's a special (i.e. dynamically bound) variable.

        Stefan