Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:06:31 +0900

Nix writes:

 > (The problem is simple: if a buffer and its frame *both* declare a
 > variable to be 'local', which takes precedence? There is probably
 > code that depends on *each* taking precedence, so any answer will
 > be wrong.)

I've not seen complaints about this in re: XEmacs specifiers where the
default precedence is window beats buffer beats frame beats global
beats baked-in-code-fallback.  (Of course that may be because people
who need a different precedence use the DOMAIN parameter to
`specifier-instance' -- but AFAIK only Ben Wing and I know that it
exists.  *You* might, but who else would? :-)

ISTM, that the question arises in Emacs because the *-local variables
never had a different API from ordinary variable reference, so
everybody just assumed it would DTRT for them.  I suspect that because
of the history of experience with specifiers, XEmacs could arrange for
variables with specifier values to be magic, ie, dereferenced via
specifier-instance (with no DOMAIN parameter specified), and no XEmacs
users would be confused.

WDYT?