Re: splitting windows and switching buffers

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: splitting windows and switching buffers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:06:34 -0400

> * chad <address@hidden> [2012-03-27 17:39:31 -0700]:
>
> On Mar 23, 2012, at 7:59 AM, Sam Steingold wrote:
>>
>> That's why I have
>>
>> (defun sds-split-window (size) [...]
>>
>> bound to [f2] and I (almost) never use C-x 2 or C-x 3.
>
> I'm curious about this usage pattern; do you often want to split windows
> in emacs without doing something specific in the other window?

usually f2 gives me the buffer I need in the new window;
if it does not, I just hit f9 (bound to quit-window) a few times or
f8 (bound to switch-to-prev-buffer).

> I rebound find-file-other-window to a convenient place and almost
> never used C-x 2/3 again.

I usually have all the files I am interested in already in buffers, so
typing the full path to find-file-other-window is a waste.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://palestinefacts.org