Release branch plans

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Release branch plans
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 13:38:51 +0800

Now that the 24.0.95 pretest is out, we plan to cut the 24.1 branch
soon.  After that is done, fixes that should go into 24.1 should be
committed into the branch, then merged into the trunk.

I'll email emacs-devel with more details shortly before the branch is
cut.  First, I'd like feedback on a couple of items:

1. I'd like to remove the +++ and --- lines from NEWS before the branch
   is cut, to avoid a messy merge later.  Could someone help look
   through NEWS and double-check if there are any entries that still
   aren't tagged with +++ or ---, and need documentation?

   The entries for pcase.el, secrets.el, notifications.el, and
   soap-client.el, but OTOH these don't need documentation in the
   manuals (i.e. they are ---).  One other issue is that I think
   `delayed-warnings-list' and `delayed-warnings-hook' ought to be
   documented; I'll take a closer look at this tomorrow.

   Also, if you come across any instances of poor ordering of the NEWS
   entries, please feel free to re-order them directly (I've already
   done a couple of re-orderings but may have missed something).

2. Any opinions on what to name the release branch?  If we go by the old
   naming convention, it would be EMACS_24_1_RC, but that's kind of
   ugly; maybe we should name it "emacs-24.1-rc" instead.