Re: Emacs and Guile

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Emacs and Guile
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:32:06 +0200

() Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
() Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:06:42 -0400

   I agree it would be good if Guile worked on non-GNU systems.
   At the same time, we should be careful not to define support
   for non-GNU systems as part of our primary goal.
   That would be drifting in the direction of downgrading our real goal.

I completely agree, and should clarify that my comments were made
w/ only GNU in mind; difficult (or, depending on one's pov, dis-)
continuity exists even there, between Guile versions.

What happens in The Wild is that j.r.hacker discovers Guile 1.x,
uses it, discovers Guile 2.0, stumbles trying to get Working Code
to behave nicely under both, fails to find a sanctioned path, and
ultimately loses interest, in the process spreading disrespect
(for Guile and sometimes GNU) among peers.

The efforts i espouse are aimed at making the sanctioned path
easier to find (i am such a j.r.hacker personally struggling to
still the creeping disrespect).  IMO, to spread software freedom
necessarily involves internal bulwarking; the edge's advance is
mooted if the center falls.