Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 07:19:50 +0900

William Xu <address@hidden> writes:
>> BTW, I hope there's a way to disable or tune this... Some CJK fonts seem
>> to be very small (when rendered at the same size as other characters),
>> and I think forcing them to be spaced with 2 * the width of the default
>> font would make CJK characters look weird, with tons of whitespace in
>> between each character....
>
> Why would it look weird?

As I said, because sometimes the CJK font chosen for a given
point-size is very small compared to the ASCII font, the point where
each CJK character is almost as small as a single ASCII character.

[I didn't just make this up, I looked at the fonts being used for my
Emacs on several machines, and thought "hmm, how would this look if
CJK font-spacing was forced to double-width...?"]

> Like the author said, the terminal has rendered it that way for long.

Then the terminal probably does a better job of choosing a CJK font to
match the ASCII font, or simply uses a different ASCII font...

I guess the point is that there are multiple interrelated issues here:
character-spacing, but also font choice.

Ideally the best solution is to automatically choose good matching
fonts (and give the user powerful methods for overriding such
choices).

-miles

--
「寒いね」と話しかければ「寒いね」と答える人のいるあったかさ [俵万智]