Re: .info files

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: .info files
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:26:33 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> You could just check the comp.os.msdos.djgpp newsgroup (actually, the
> signal-to-spam ratio would be lower if you used its mailing list
> gateway, address@hidden).

I knew there some list like that, but I forgot where.

>  I can tell you that just a week ago someone told me that Emacs 23.4
> would not build for him (because some change back-ported from the
> trunk broke one of DOS-specific files). See

Sure. Does this prove he needs it, or is he just building it for fun, to
see if it works? Does one potential user justify keeping a port around?
Anyone using MS-DOS is pretty obviously not using recent software. Do
they really need Emacs 24.2? (But this is all old ground.)

> I proposed a solution that should work for everyone.  Why not consider it?

Not splitting the info files; seems fine to me (I don't know why we
should change makeinfo's default behavior for the sake of MS-DOS
though). This would give a 3MB elisp info file. I tried it and noticed
no performance issue. The gcc.info file on my system is not split and is
about 2MB (uncompressed).

>> I think you would hear fewer gripes about MS-DOS.
>
> I seriously doubt that.

You'd hear fewer from me. The file name issue is the only one that
bothers me. I don't care about "#ifdef msdos".