Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:10:51 +0200

Tom <address@hidden> writes:

>> Ok, good example. It can fly if it will get enough visibility(perhaps
>> on slashdot).But what about support? Emacs and Java are constantly in
>> development. New version will come out and additional work will be
>> required. Another kickstarter might be a solution,
> Code maintenance is easier. The hard task is implementing the feature
> itself. I'm sure if a really good Java support were implemented then
> there would be people who'd pick up the torch if the original
> developer wouldn't want work on it anymore.

Just to throw something in: Vim has very good Java support simply by
piggy-backing on Eclipse, which can run headless and be controlled via
the command line.

So basically, vim only needs to implement proper syntax-highlighting for
Java, and the rest (auto-completion, refactoring, project management) is
done by invoking the right command on the Eclipse side.

There's also an Emacs port of Eclim.

Not sure how well that works right now, but that might be a rather cheap
option to catch up on Java support in Emacs.  The downside of this
approach is of course that you still need Eclipse...