Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:58:58 +0900

2012年4月18日15:54 Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>:
> In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I set the font to "Droid Sans Mono", and the Japanese font Emacs
>> automatically chose was "きろ字".  I don't know _why_ Emacs chose that
>> font,
>
> That's because I couldn't use FcFontSetSort because it had a
> serious bug when I wrote the relevant code long ago.  Could
> you please try this patch?

I tried the patch, and the result seem much better:  On my home
machine, Emacs now defaults to a Japanese font which is the same as
gedit, and looks quite good (whereas without the patch, Emacs picks a
font which is still decent looking, but doesn't match the ASCII font
very well).

[On my work machine, it's a little less clear what's going on: with
the patch, Emacs picks a nicer looking Japanese font, but it doesn't
seem to be the same font gedit picks...]

One thing I noticed, BTW:  gedit, when using a fixed-pitch default
font, _doesn't_ force CJK characters to be 2*the width of ASCII
characters (in fact, with your ftfont patch, the display of the
current Emacs seems to match the display of gedit pretty much
exactly...).

So I'd say this patch seems an improvement over the current behavior...

-miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.