Re: Version strings in lisp files?

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Version strings in lisp files?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:04:41 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> AFAIK, the policy is that _if_ you want some version string in a
> package, then keep that to a minimum (1 file).  But there's no policy,
> AFAIK, to have a version string, if Org doesn't need that.

Leaving aside question of Org,

,---- from package.el
`----

,---- from package.el
|       (unless pkg-version
|       (error
|        "Package lacks a \"Version\" or \"Package-Version\" header"))
`----

I think the policy differs based on what elisp file is being
considered....

The above data point is inconsequential for non-core Org because it is a
multi-file package and it's version comes from `org-pkg.el' bundled
within the tar.