Re: Ispell and unibyte characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ispell and unibyte characters
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:54:13 +0300

> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:06:17 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Anyway, to me, Hunspell is a better tool, because of its support for
> multiple dictionaries, which fixes the most annoying inconvenience in
> Emacs spell-checking: the need to switch dictionaries according to the
> language -- this is really a bad thing when you use Flyspell.
>
> With multiple dictionaries, with very rare exceptions, one needs a
> single entry in ispell-dictionary-alist, having all of the
> dictionaries for languages one normally uses, [[:alpha:]] as
> CASECHARS, and UTF-8 as the encoding.

Unfortunately, I have to take that back.  Hunspell _does_ support
multiple dictionaries, but only if they can use the same .aff file.
When you invoke Hunspell with several dictionaries, as in

  hunspell -d "foo,bar,baz"

only the first dictionary is loaded with its .aff file; the rest use
that same .aff file.  Therefore, it is practically impossible to use
Hunspell to spell multi-lingual buffers without switching
dictionaries.  This feature _is_ useful when you want to add
specialized dictionaries (e.g., for terminology in some specific field
of knowledge or discipline) to the general dictionary of the same
language, though.

Sorry for posting misleading information.