Re: plain-text markdown handler for Gnus

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: plain-text markdown handler for Gnus
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 10:21:58 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> [general mm-uu handler omitted]
>
> This is very nice but I think it's also nice to use the `markdown'
> processor directly (as markdown-mode does).  It will handle more of the
> Markdown markup and generates HTML which we can then inline.

Oh, I thought the goal was a message fontification tool, but it sounds
like you're proposing a tool for composing HTML email.

> I'm not sure--can anyone with Markdown experience comment?  This would
> be Gnus-specific because the HTML result would then be part of the
> article buffer.

There does exist a very similar Org-mode based tool for composing and
sending HTML email [1].  This tool converts inline Org-mode to HTML
(with a plain text multipart/alternative) inline in the message and the
results render correctly (including attached HTML images) in at least
gnus, Thunderbird and Gmail.

> Also it would be very useful to detect Markdown automatically based on
> some traits, like 4-space indented quotes and the other Markdown markup.

Maybe automatically converting indented code to the relevant text/x-lang
mime type (with a text alternative) would be simpler but achieve much of
the desired effect?

Best,

> Ted

Footnotes: