Re: Make raise-frame work on Cygwin

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Make raise-frame work on Cygwin
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 20:42:54 +0900

martin rudalics wrote:
>> raise-frame doesn't pop up an existing frame on Cygwin (rootless).
>> If there are many frames on a Windows screen, we have no means to
>> pop up a certain Emacs frame that is hidden by the other frames,
>> except for manually digging it up by mouse.

> Probably a silly question: What does Cygwin do to pop it up when you are
> "manually digging it up by mouse"?  Or is Cygwin bypassed by Windows in
> that case?

I don't know at all.  What I only do is, for instance, to type
`M-x gnus-other-frame RET' to raise an existing Gnus frame up.
`gnus-other-frame' runs `select-frame-set-input-focus' for the
Gnus frame in question, nevertheless I thereafter need to
dislodge or iconify other frames one by one by mouse till a Gnus
frame is found. :<

>> But at last I found
>> a workaround:
>>
>> (defadvice raise-frame (before make-it-work (&optional frame) activate)
>>   "Make it work on Cygwin."
>>   (when frame (make-frame-invisible frame)))

>> iconify-frame instead of make-frame-invisible there has no effect.

> Dead-ugly.  Nevertheless, we should provide support for that, e.g., by
> introducing a `raise-frame-function' variable.

What I really want is to improve Emacs so as to communicate with
common window managers, including that of Windows 7, metacity...
Though all window managers may perhaps not offer the complete set
of interface.