Re: Re-including rst.el into Emacs repository

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Re-including rst.el into Emacs repository
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 22:36:49 -0400

>> Thanks, tho you only put the tip of the merge, and forgot its base.
> I don't understand. What do you mean by the base of the merge?

When you merge, you basically apply the changes from one branch
to another.  "changes" implies a sort of "diff" and it is not a "diff"
between the two branches but a "diff" between the last sync and the tip
(i.e. what has changed since the last sync).
So the "base" is the revision of the last sync, aka the "ancestor".

When working within a modern VCS you nearly never need to worry about it
because the VCS figures out what is the ancestor for you, based on the
metadata it has.  But when working between two separate repositories
that do not share metadata, it's useful to preserve this
"metadata" explicitly since the VCS won't do it for you.

> Done.  Please note that I'm German.  We *love* the passive form over
> here ;-) .

I kind of figured.
Anyway, thanks for the patch, it looks good.
Grüezi,

        Stefan